When we went to meet Ian Puddick at Old Bakery Gin in Pymmes Mews, we were intrigued to learn about Tom Maysh who had been a major figure in the cycling world. So we decided to investigate further and have created a short film about him and his shop. The shop was set up by his father, Thomas Maysh in 1922. Thomas repaired cars as well as selling bikes but when Tom took over in 1945 he concentrated on bikes, to the extent that he built his own under the brand name Tom Maysh.
Tom had married in 1940. He met his wife after she came into the shop to buy a bike and his father had suggested that he take the bike home for the customer and they got on so well that they started courting and eventually married.